Welcome to my very first blog! I'm just about to go off on a month and a half journey down south (Southern India that is). I've just spent the last 6 months living and volunteering in the hustle-bustle of Pune, India at Sangam World Centre, a Girl Guide and Girl Scout World Centre. And now I'm ready to adventure further!!!!

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Pooram Festival, Thrissur

Today we went to the Pooram Festival. Wow, we sure saw a lot of elephants...all elaborately dressed.

And then it rained, thundered and lighninged. And then the sun shone. Then it rained and thundered so hard that it shorted out the lights in the tent we were hiding in because of leakage into the tent! So we ran away to another tent and ate icecream while it continue to pour.

Then we went into tents in the "fair" part of the festival...and saw things like the history of India, Indian Railways, plants. And dead babies in jars. Yes, babies. At a fair. I don't know what to think of that. I am not sure what planet I am on. But there they were.

Then I went on the scariesty ferris-wheel EVER! I was scared! Luckily we didn't see any bolts falling off...but we were treated to many jeers from all the other passengers (all Indian and male).

Then we got off and noticed that 98% of the crowd were men...no, make that 99%...no more than that. So, we decided it may be time to go home. Yep. Just another ordinary day of travelling I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home