Welcome to my very first blog! I'm just about to go off on a month and a half journey down south (Southern India that is). I've just spent the last 6 months living and volunteering in the hustle-bustle of Pune, India at Sangam World Centre, a Girl Guide and Girl Scout World Centre. And now I'm ready to adventure further!!!!

Monday, May 02, 2005

Blue Mountain Railway to Ooty

Every seen the film "A passage to India"? Well this morning we got up at 4am to catch the train used in this film. It goes about 10km/hr and climbs almost 2000m going through many many tunnels and over many bridges. A gorgeous ride and now we're in nice and cool (25°C) Ooty an old British hill station.

And you know what? Sometimes it actually pays to be white and female!! Despite all the drawbacks along the way today we got a special coach just for the foreigners and didn't have to wait for the next train or stand crammed for 4.5hrs on either of them! That's one good thing...you're so high on the caste you can get away with anything sometimes! I don't know if its worth it...being high up, or living in a society where divisions are so prominant....I am beginning to sympathize with the aristocracy....always treated with the same stereotype, always stared at, always seen as something not quite anyone else...I think I much prefer being a boring normal person and living in a society that attempts to make everyone equal...but maybe that's my cultural bias? who knows? Anyway, at least being different and exciting has its perks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home